After making the Teal Multi-Strand Necklace that took a few mishaps before getting right I decided my next necklace should be something a bit simpler. So I opted for a basic stringing technique to string semi-precious dyed agate oval beads and dark green dyed jade nuggets using natural silk bead cord in carnelian size 8 – even though you can’t see the thread I still like to use a color that’s complementary to the beads. I also used gold-tone beads as spacers between the jade nuggets and some left-over metal pieces from my Necklace Makeover as spacers between the agate beads.
I was quite pleased with the finished product.
I’ve seen necklaces like this before and have always wanted to try to make one myself. Unfortunately, my first attempt at it didn’t go too well. I had essentially finished the necklace but when I put the clasps on and tried it on it was uneven and didn’t lay flat. I tried to fix it but ultimately decided that taking it apart would be the best bet. Ziploc bags and a metal bead scoop definitely came in handy!
On the second go around I decided to count the beads as I put them on the beading wire to ensure that it would be even. On my first attempt I did each section my measurement, which was probably the downfall in the design in the first place. Believe it or not, by counting the beads the necklace came together a lot quicker.
And it’s done!
This necklace was definitely a learning experience. I’ve done multi-strand necklaces before, but not anything as elaborate as this one. I had to learn how to properly attach a bead cone to the ends to cover up all the crimp beads that were holding each of the 15 strands to a jump ring and also remember to stagger the strands in the middle portion of the necklace so it would hang nicely. Now that I have somewhat mastered the technique I will definitely be making more of these.
FYI: The beads are all glass seed beads in size 11. I made the spacer bars by using a ladder stitch to stitch together 5 4mm cube beads and then embellishing them with teal seed beads and Swarovski 3mm bicone crystals.
Sometimes a favorite piece of jewelry needs an update. That was the case with this necklace. I still liked the stones, but, the gold-plated links were beginning to tarnish.
I took the necklace apart to save the stones and after some searching found these metal pieces that I thought would make a nice combination.
Using a basic stringing technique with white natural silk thread (size 8) and gold-tone findings I was able to get to work on a “new” necklace.
And here’s the final product. I actually like it more than the original necklace and already have worn it a few times.
This past weekend I went to a jewelry making class with some friends. Initially we thought the class was going to be for a pair of earrings and a necklace so we were a tad bit disappointed when we learned it was just earrings and not the earrings that we saw when we signed up for the class but something completely different. I had some difficulty trying to figure what I wanted to do since I wasn’t too keen on the design we were being taught and with the stones provided to us. So, I came up with this while I was there, figuring I would go home and change them up afterwards.
So today I decided to take them apart and brainstorm with the other beads and stones I got from the class.
After a few attempts I finally came up with these by using a basic wire wrapping technique. I wasn’t all that sure about them at first, but after putting them on they grew on me.
Not too long ago I came across a pattern to make fingerless mittens in a Martha Stewart magazine. I made myself a pair using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn
and size 13 knitting needles. I was very happy with the result and recently made another pair as a gift.
I decided not to use such a thick yarn the second time around and opted to use Patons Shetland Chunky Yarn
and size 10 knitting needles.
I knitted two of these rectangles by casting on 36 stitches and working in garter stitch (knitting every row) for 8 inches (59 rows for this specific yarn).
Once the rectangles were done it was time to sew them up – create a seam – so these blocks of knitted yarn could actually become mittens. I folded them vertically so you would still be able to see the garter stich pattern running horizontally along the mittens and started sewing from the wrist part towards the fingers, making sure that I left a space for the thumb. One thing to note, when you sew make sure you are sewing on the side that would be considered the inside (wrong side), if not, you will end up with a finished product with a visible seam. But, if you do like the look of a visible seam try something different and create the seam using a contrasting yarn color to the one you chose for the mittens for a different look.
And they’re done!
Overall I was happy with how they came out. One thing though, since I did use a thinner yarn they were a tad bit bigger than the ones I originally made for myself. But, since the person I gave them to has a larger hand than me they were perfect fit for them. If I were to make myself a pair using this type of yarn I would definitely cast on less than 36 stitches to start the rectangles. I would probably go with something like 30 stiches to get a more snug fit.
You can find the specific pattern on the Martha Stewart
website – while the title does stipulate Child’s Knit Hand Warmer, the description has the modifications for the adult size.
Thanks for visiting! About two months ago while I was baking up a few batches of cookies I thought it would be fun to start a blog chronicling all the different things I make. In the past couple of years I have learned how to knit, crochet, bead weave, and decorate cakes among other things. I have always enjoyed creating things and challenging myself with new techniques, patterns and recipes. So welcome to my new blog. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy making all the items.