With summer in full swing you are probably heading to quite a few BBQ’s or hosting a few yourself. Today I would like to share with you two salads and a salsa recipe that are super easy & super quick to make for any BBQ you may be hosting or invited to or for those days that you just want to make something quick and easy for dinner that doesn’t involve much effort or thought. With all of these recipes I suggest making them a few hours in advance and refrigerating them so all of the flavors can marinate together.
Green Bean – Cucumber Salad
1 1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 English cucumber, sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and add green beans. Boil the green beans until they are tender – approximated 7 minutes – and then drain and rinse under cold water.
2. In a large bowl toss the green beans along with the remaining ingredients and then season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Black Bean – Corn Salad
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 cup canned corn
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
Juice of 3 limes
salt and pepper
1. Whisk together the olive oil, honey and lime juice in a measuring cup.
2. In a large bowl add the black beans, corn, pepper, scallions and cilantro. Add the olive oil mixture to the black bean mixture and toss all the ingredients together. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the dice avocado. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 20 oz. can pineapple slices in juice*
2 tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
*Alternatively can use 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into rings.
1. Soak the onion in cold water for 15 minutes then drain.
2. Preheat an indoor grill pan over medium heat and lightly oil the pan (you could also grill the pineapple on a grill.) Grill the pineapple rings until marked, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and chop.
3. Combine the pineapple, onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic, ginger and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the lime juice and season with salt then toss. Serve with tortilla chips. This salsa also tastes great over salmon and grilled chicken.