As they say good things come in small packages and bite sized treats are no exception. You get all the flavor in a nice small portion. For Mother’s Day I decided to bake up some small treats as opposed to a large cake or pie and it was an overall hit.
First up are Mini Chocolate-Chip Cheesecakes. I came across this recipe a few years ago in a now defunct magazine and it was an instant hit amongst my friends. It’s been a while since I’ve made them so needless to say they didn’t last all that long.
I started off by making the cheesecake part of the bites by mixing together cream cheese, an egg and sugar. I then folded in the mini-chocolate chips and set this aside while I made the cake portion.
To make the cake portion I mixed together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, water, oil and vanilla.
Now it was time to assemble the mini cheesecakes. I spooned the chocolate mixture into the muffin tins until they were half full and then dolloped about a tablespoon of the cheesecake mixture on top.
And after baking in a 350 degrees pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes they were all done.
Up next… Pineapple Upside-Down Bites. I clipped this recipe out of the May 2013 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. The recipe sounded quick and simple and only required a few ingredients: butter, light brown sugar, maraschino cherries, pineapple and yellow cake mix.
I started off by preparing the cake mix per the directions on the package. The recipe actually calls for a 16.5oz box of cake mix, but since the recipe states that there would be cake batter left over I decided to use a smaller bag that is meant for 12 cupcakes or an 8×8 cake.
Up next it was time to prepare the muffin tin for the pineapple portion of these mini bites.
I spooned a 1/2 teaspoon of melted butter into each cup of the tin and then layered a 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, a cherry piece and a layer of pineapple on top of it. Also, while the recipe didn’t call for it I sprayed the muffin tin with baking spray to ensure that the bites wouldn’t stick to it.
I then spooned about a tablespoon of cake batter into each cup and then baked it in a 350 degrees preheated oven for 12 minutes.
Once out of the oven I inverted the muffin tin on a baking sheet so the pineapple bites could cool.
They tasted as good as they looked…
Mini Chocolate-Chip Cheesecakes
Makes about 4 dozen
1 1/2 lbs (2 12-oz packages) cream cheese
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 mini chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup water
1/3 vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a bowl, mix cream cheese, egg and 1/3 cup sugar
2. Add mini chocolate chips
3. In another bowl, mix remaining sugar with flour, cocoa, baking soda, water, oil and vanilla
4. Spoon chocolate mixture into mini muffin cups until half full
5. Place 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture on top of each cupcake
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed
7. Cool on rack for 10 minutes before serving
Prep 30 Minutes
Bake 15 Minutes
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
5 maraschino cherries, quartered
1/3 cup diced pineapple, patted dry
1 box (16.5oz) yellow cake mix, prepared into batter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In the cups of two 12-cup mini muffin tins, layer 1/2 teaspoon butter, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, a cherry piece, a single layer of pineapple (about 5 pieces) and about 1 tablespoon cake batter (cups should be about two-thirds full; save remaining cake batter for another use).
2. Bake until golden-brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes, about 12 minutes. Immediately run a knife around the edge of each cake and invert to cool on a baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature.
9 thoughts on “Bite-Sized Goodness”
These look delicious. I’m happy to see you blogging more frequently now. Every time I see your post, I smile. One of these days I’m going to make something from your blog. Thanks for your support and take care!!!
Thanks Liz! I actually want to try one of the soups from your blog, but, I am much better baker than I am cook… LOL!
Damn, i love the chocolate chips cheesecake…
simply drolling me, iwould love to grab that some….
Appreciate yoour blog post