Hope you all had a wonderful 4th on Friday and that the rest of your holiday weekend was good. As for me, the 4th was a bit of a washout due to rain but the rest of the weekend was beautiful which meant I was able to do some yard work. The rain wasn’t all that bad though, it gave me the perfect excuse to stay in and bake some patriotic themed cupcakes. I settled on making Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. I should note that the recipe for the Lemon Buttermilk was originally for a loaf cake, but, I decided to turn it into cupcakes and add some frosting.
I began by whisking together the dry ingredients -flour, baking powder and salt – in one bowl and the wet ingredients – oil, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, lemon zest and juice – in another.
After whisking those ingredients together by hand I opted to use my hand mixer to whisk all of the ingredients together.
I then used an ice cream scoop – I find it’s always the perfect size for scooping cupcake batter – to fill patriotic themed cupcake liners.
I then baked them in a 350 F preheated oven for 20 minutes – rotating the tins halfway through. After letting the cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the pan I removed them and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
I then whipped up a batch of Cream Cheese Frosting and used a large open star tip to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
And since these were patriotic themed cupcakes I added some red and blue with stars and stripes sprinkles, blueberries and strawberries and blueberries and raspberries.
Final verdict… Lemon & Cream Cheese are a winning combination!
Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes – adapted from here
Makes 14 Cupcakes
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, lemon zest and juice. Add to the dry ingredients.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the lined cups and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating the tins halfway through.
5. Cool the cupcakes in the tins on a wire rack for a few minutes and then remove them and let them cool completely on the wire rack.
6. Frost and enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting
8oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups Confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Cream together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer
2. With the mixer on low speed add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time until smooth and creamy
3. Beat in the vanilla extract
One thought on “Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting”